2013/12/19

Fanfiction: Christmas Dance (1/3)

As promised. Here you go.



Title: Christmas Dance (1/3)
Author: Matthias aka MysticMew (Solarsenshi@gmx.de)
Beta: None
Status: Alpha (Version 1.0)
Rating: PG-13 (to be safe)
Category: Romance (lighthearted fluff, be warned ^_^)
Pairings: Minako/Hotaru
Continuum/Spoilers: End of Manga, slight bits of anime. But really nothing dramatic.
Distribution: M&M DreamWorks Blog (http://mysticmew44.blogspot.de), M&M DreamWorks Archive (http://mysticmew.bplaced.net), Fanfiction.net (www.fanfiction.net), M&M DreamWorks archive and blog gets preference and the desired and best format, all versions will first go to the blog and archive.
Disclaimer: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon©Naoko Takeuchi, Kodansha, TV Tokyo
Story Disclaimer: Christmas Dance©2013 by Matthias aka MysticMew



*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****

Pre-Note

Let's make this brief. For anyone not having seen my announcement on my blog, this is just a small piece for Christmas. Normally short story get put out in one go but really I literally managed to get Maia into line just shy of Christmas and we started this Tuesday. Therefore I'll try to finish before Christmas Eve and if nothing gets in the way, we should manage, but since I can't fully guarantee it, I'll release this story in small parts for now. There will be three in all. Each consisting of about two POV scenes for Minako and Hotaru in exchange (thus I won't bother with indicating who is who for this one). Since I'm practically posting with the story still ongoing, the end product will probably get a thorough work over afterwards before it can be put together into a single file. If you find any glaring mistakes, please tell me, especially since my primary beta is away and it would have been too short notice for the release anyway.

As for the status of TFSTTM Reloaded. Read my blog post. That is one reason it exists. I'm not going to repeat myself here.

Now, enjoy! It's time for some Minaru action again. ^_^

*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****

Christmas Dance
A Minaru Christmas One-Shot
Presented by M&M DreamWorks

*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****

With a sigh I placed another letter on the quickly rising pile. I would have thrown it in frustration but that would have brought the whole thing crumbling down and I had no desire to make myself more work with this than absolutely necessary. Already the routine was getting quite tiresome and as expected not very useful. I kept hoping of course, however, in the end, I knew exactly what to expect from these letters.

Glancing at the clock, I was startled that it was this late already. Lunch break was halfway over. "At this rate, I have no idea what I am going to do," I moaned into the empty room. "Whoever came up with this stupid idea anyway?" Really, who had ever heard about a dance party on Christmas Eve... and making it a cross-school event where several schools from Tokyo participated as well? Okay, maybe I was being unfair. In theory the idea was quite unique and many were looking forward to it. But if you couldn't get a date...

Well, it wasn't so much that I couldn't get a date but that I couldn't get a decent one. Having acquired quite the fan club during High School had been an unexpected but pleasant surprise, at first. Until the excitement wore off and I had to realize that they mostly idolized an image of myself. Granted, that was basically the essence of an idol and I was glad about being able to pull that off. However, when it came to dating that made offers ever so much superficial.

No one really understood what I wanted. I had really hoped something would come up with the start of the new week with only a few school days left until Christmas this Thursday. So far though, nothing had happened that could be classified as particularly interesting. So really, what was I supposed to do? Throw all invitations into a box and draw? That wasn't what I really wanted either and would make any choice made like that even less desirable.

At this rate Christmas wouldn't be any fun. The weather was already bad enough. Not that it was raining all the time or something... It was entirely too warm for the season. Going to the dance with someone I really didn't want to was not going to get me into the spirit of things either. And not going was almost as much not an option as it would be infinitely depressing.

So much for the season of love, I sighed. With my schedule as tight as it was, the last two years had steadily become an almost monotone routine. At first I had actually been excited about the dance... excitement that ever so slowly trickled away the closer it came to Christmas. Don't get me wrong, I had everything I ever wanted, with my future secured in several ways. The only thing really missing, the one thing that seemed to always miss in the end in my life – this and previous ones – was love.

My rumbling stomach reminded me that I hadn't eaten anything since this morning and that hadn't been much either. Another wasted hour, I thought. Really, I could have used the free period for something more productive. Might as well go eat or Artemis is going to scold me again that I'm overworking and forgetting the necessary things.

With that in mind, I gave the letter pile one last sour glance and left the club room to get some fresh air and fill my stomach.

*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****

"Honestly, Aru-chan. How long are you going to hold onto that letter?"

I groaned at the insistent pestering of the other girl. Kimiko was a good friend, perhaps one of the few in my class I really could call one. But she was also quite noisy, nosy and easily excitable on a general scale. Normally I didn't mind, she reminded me of Chibiusa in some ways, especially with the pink hair tied in a single ponytail, hanging over her shoulder. Right now though, she was trying my patience. After all, today was important. I was trying to mentally prepare myself. To psyche myself up before the execution of the plan I had worked on all weekend.

"The letter isn't important anymore," I said with the predictable result of granting me at least a short time of stunned silence as my friend tried to comprehend the meaning before starting with the questions. Enough time to quickly reassure myself of my course of action.

Today would be my one and only chance to get her to notice me, notice me in the way I wanted to. I knew that my classmates thought I was silly, that it was just a silly crush. Half the school – at least – had a crush on Aino Minako. Neither of them really thought that they had a realistic chance either, not with some of the most popular boys at school lining up to ask her out. However, they didn't understand. They all had no idea. Perhaps they were right and I was silly to think I had a chance, a chance with that beautiful, funny and talented Goddess but I had to try. If I didn't, I knew I would forever regret it.

Aino Minako had been school talk ever since she got scouted by an idol company at the beginning of her second year at Juuban High School and both her popularity and schedule had only increased since then. Her contract only consisted of a little actual work but a lot of extra training, so that she could still concentrate on school. Along with being part of the singing and dance clubs and finding time in between for training and her friends, I knew she was quite stressed.

And despite all that popularity I knew for certain that she had not chosen a dance partner for Christmas yet. An opportunity I could not effort to miss. Graduation was coming up and her career would take up most of her time from then.

"What do you mean: It isn't important?" Kimiko had apparently snapped out of her stupor and had grabbed my shoulders, staring at me intently, just shy of actually shaking me. "Don't tell me you are giving up after all?"

I glared at the other girl but couldn't really spare the energy to keep it up. I knew I was getting nervous and wondered if I could really keep it together until later. "No, I am not. I'm going to ask her." After school that was. Club activities were pretty much nonexistent in this last half-week before the holidays but I knew Minako-senpai would be there anyway, most likely going through her pile of invitations...

That had been the plan at least. Less attention this way and I'd spare myself the gossip and question regardless of the outcome until tomorrow. But I had been close to bursting with nervous excitement ever since I woke up and another few hours of waiting might actually make me do what Kimiko had just accused me of.

Later on, I probably would ask myself how I had ever been able to pull off something so daring.

Glancing at the clock, I realized lunch break was almost halfway over. Kimiko was staring at me oddly, probably wondering if I had lost it. I couldn't blame her. This was already taking all my energy to not chicken out. Nothing would ever change if I hesitated though. Besides, I was certain that I had one advantage most of the boys – and some girls – in this school didn't. "In fact," with an abrupt movement I stood, causing Kimiko to jump back startled and my chair to rattle before it fell over backwards, "I'm going to ask her right now."

Barely acknowledging Kimiko's exclamation, I made my way out of the classroom and towards the stairs. Knowing Minako-senpai I was sure she would probably be in the club room right now, most likely going through a new batch of invitation letters and no doubt frustrated about it.

Unfortunately upon reaching her club room I hit my first obstacle, which almost completely derailed me. Standing in front of the door for a few minutes, indecisive and nervous energy threatening to explode rather violently at any moment, I mostly ignored Kimiko's hushed and excited questions until I found the courage to knock. Waiting for almost a full minute with no answer, my heart sank and I tried the door... finding it locked.

"Looks like she is not here," Kimiko stated the obvious. "Come on, Aru-chan. Break is almost over. If you really want to do this, then wait until after school. By now she's probably back in her class."

Right, class. I latched onto the thought almost desperately. Right now I was certain I could not wait until later. I had already come so far, had grasped that thin resolve and determination, clinging onto it with the ferocity of a drowning man to any sort of floating object. If I let go now, I would most definitely drown.

Turning on my heel, I made my way down the hallway. Having memorized Minako-senpai's schedule I knew that she would be in the classroom at the end of the hallway. That was good. I didn't think I could make it across school in my state.

"What are you doing?" Kimiko squeaked, trying to keep up. Then she must have realized my intent. "You don't mean... Are you crazy, girl?!"

Maybe I was, some remote part of sanity within my mind probably agreed right now. Not that I was in any position or state to acknowledge that.

The short distance to the classroom was covered quickly and it only took me a quick peek to confirm that I had been right. There she was, first row on the right, next to the windows. As soon as I caught sight of her, everything else stopped to matter. Not the utter craziness of what I was going to do, nor the insistent attempts of my friend to stop me from what she probably considered social suicide.

I didn't even hesitate at the door again this time, pushing it open with my gaze firmly locked on the stunning girl that my heart had belonged to for quite some time now. For much longer than any of her would-be admirers, much more honest than anyone else could claim to be. And right now, I would finally be able to express my feelings in what seemed like the most important moment of my life.

*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****

I was going over my schedule for the week, mostly trying to distract myself. I didn't particularly look forward to the rest of the school day. Most of these classes were almost pointless now. Final exams had been completed already and all that was left was college entrance exams. Something that I only took as much interest in as I needed. I probably wouldn't even go to college with my career opportunity lined up. But Ami had imposed on me the necessity to at least make the effort, so that I would have something to show. Besides, I knew how fast moving the idol business was. Having a backup option just in case was something I could at least acknowledge.

Unfortunately the rest of the day would be utterly boring, with everyone off in different classes. No one to really talk to like a normal person.

It was times like this that I almost wished not to have this popularity. I wasn't going to bite someone's head off for talking to me like a normal person after all. However, outside of my friends and fellow Senshi, I barely had anyone that... dared. Even this whole 'dating' business worked like this. Letters delivered through indirect means almost all the time. How was I supposed to get a real impression of the person asking through a letter?

Suppressing another sigh, I pretty much gave up on anything exciting happening on this day. So far I had not come any closer to a solution about my date but nothing would come out of working fruitlessly through these letters, that much I knew already. At worst, I would rather settle for going without a date. The event was big enough and there were bound to be others without a proper date.

Just as I was about to settle in for another long boring hour of math, the door opened abruptly and a very strange feeling passed through me which I couldn't quite place but left my body tingling. Unconsciously I sat a little straighter as my gaze focused on the entrance to the classroom... and stared.

Considering her unique look and appearance, it took less than a moment to recognize Tomoe Hotaru. That aside though I was as confused as probably anyone else as to what she was doing here. Did something happen? Was there some kind of Senshi emergency? But then, someone would have called me. No, there was something. Something else that for some reason made my heart speed a little faster.

I wasn't the only one staring either. The pre-class chatter was gradually coming to a halt as everyone became aware of the young dark-haired girl with albino-white skin who clearly wasn't supposed to be here walking into the classroom. More like strode inside with confident, fast steps. Behind her I saw a pink-haired girl stopping just outside, watching the course taken by Hotaru with obvious distress and disbelief.

A course, I realized, would lead straight to my desk.

Wide awake and attentive now, I kept my focus on her, judging her posture, the nervous energy radiating off her despite the brave front. I had always been quite good at judging people, if I put my mind to it. All the lessons for acting and stage performance had only sharpened that talent. Yet, even before all that I would have just as easily recognized what exactly was happening. And despite that I was so caught off guard and disbelieving that I took a quick peek with my Sight.

Our abilities had all grown since returning from the Cauldron. My gift for seeing the romantic inclinations of people had gone from wildly unpredictable to rather accurate with the only drawback being that interpretation was still left to me. As such, I wasn't really surprised by what I saw. Oh no, I had known about the younger girl's feelings for some time. But I had not expected her to act on them. During practice and other times she didn't let on anything and as such I had not pressed the issue, not wanting to make it harder on her.

But now, from what I could see – and the signs were all there –, something had changed. The storm of emotions in her eyes as she held her gaze fixated on mine was breathtaking and I caught myself unconsciously fidgeting just a little.

She wasn't going to...

Coming to a stop, Hotaru seemed to falter for just a moment before pulling on some kind of courage I couldn't even begin to fathom. All conversation had stopped at this time but she didn't seem to notice. And the rest of the room was starting to fade away for me as well. "Minako-senpai?" Hotaru began, just the barest hint of a tremble in her voice. Was that bravado? Regardless I found myself drawn into amethyst eyes and the yet unspoken promise within them.

"Hai, what can I do for you, Hotaru-chan?" I asked as casually as I could master. I prided myself on being able to pull off the unflappable act these days but anticipating what was going to happen and seeing it confirmed in just the slightest hint of squared shoulders and straightened back just then, made me positively giddy inside.

She is really going to do it! I realized in disbelief.

"Minako-senpai, will you go the dance with me next week."

Yes, indeed. Somewhat shy, quiet freshman Hotaru Tomoe had just walked into a foreign classroom and in the most straightforward manner asked the most popular girl of the school out for a date. Not just any date but the one almost everyone else would have given a lot to go to with me.

How amazingly brave!

You could probably see, hear, taste, smell and feel the shock within the stunned silence that followed. I did not care for any of that, making sure to keep her attention as I appeared to be measuring her, eyes still locked. I knew she was running on adrenaline up to this point. And now that the words she had been holding in for so long were out, that drive would be gone. I did not want her to crumble before I could give a proper answer, however. An answer deserving of so much incredible courage. This was special. This was more special than what I had ever dared to experience at this point of time from an event I had almost given up hope on.

Somehow Hotaru managed not to look away or down in embarrassment, still managing to somehow grasp on the last vestiges of the courage that had brought her to this point, waiting for my answer. Much like everyone else in the classroom waited, anticipated, expected to hear the undeniable. The one thing they all thought would come, probably including this amazing girl, standing before me, that I was starting to see in an entirely different light than before.

Smiling widely, I reached out to grasp one trembling hand. "I would love to."

*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****

I can honestly say I had not been in complete control of myself from the time I left my classroom and entered this one. How much of the actions taken in these last few minutes had been driven by actual confidence was questionable at best. They were probably more a mixture of bravado, desperation and at some point into the endeavor I had simply started not to care anymore, running solely on this single drive to fulfill my goal.

"Minako-senpai, will you go the dance with me next week."

The words came out so clear and strong that I was amazed it was my own voice. However, as soon as they left my lips, the spell that had held me captive and transformed into the girl that had convinced herself that coming here and doing this right now to be a great idea was broken.

Two emotions came very, very close to undoing me right then and there. The first was the immense relief to finally have given voice to the question I had wanted to ask the older girl for weeks... no, much longer than that. The weight lifted off my shoulders was definitely several tons worth. Of course, that was almost immediately replaced with a weight that pretty much crushed me underneath when I realized just what exactly I had just done.

Kami, no, what have I...? Did I just...? I did, didn't I?

I felt like giggling hysterically. Whatever happened to catch Minako privately, with at best no or at least a minimal audience? It wasn't particularly that I cared too much about other opinions. With my rapid aging and several transfers going along with that I had just now started to feel somewhat settled in my current physical state and the class I was in. I didn't really feel a need to be popular... However, what in the name of the Moon had possessed me to think about practically confessing right in front of Minako's entire classroom?!? That was tantamount to the entire school learning about it. I could practically feel every eye in the classroom focused on me, mentally scrutinizing and dissecting that weird creature that had dared approached their idol so brazenly.

The only thing that kept me from giving into the flight instinct was the gaze of azure blue holding my own spellbound. Those pretty eyes had always managed to draw me in the most, so full of vibrancy and emotion, yet almost all the time with a part longing, part lonely look, carefully hidden, yet somehow I always managed to see it.

Until now. There was measuring, a careful calculation, then a twinkle of joy that totally took me off guard, although later on I would wonder why since that had been what I was counting on after all. One might forgive me for not thinking rationally at this point. Before today I had only always be able to dream, to fantasize. Never had I expected to experience what happened next.

The smile was simple enough, but brilliant in its open and unguarded honesty and the electricity that traveled over my hand and upwards into my whole body had my knees trembling and almost made me miss the next words. "I would love to."

If it was somehow possible the silence all around us became even greater and even more shocked. It was like someone had taken a huge hammer and smacked around everyone's world view. They were still spinning from the impact apparently which might be the only thing that gave me that little bit of time to continue for the next minute and make it out of the classroom intact without getting my head ripped off.

Not that my head wasn't spinning either. Unlike everyone else though it was quite a happy spin, like that one time I had a few drinks – a few drinks too many apparently – at Haruka-papa's last birthday party. I couldn't quite wrap my mind around what had happened though. Maybe I had misheard? I could hardly trust my body at this point. And so, despite being certain that I could not utter a single more word right now, I managed to squeak out: "R-Really, you will?"

Minako just continued to smile, in fact she seemed to be getting increasingly more excited as the encounter played out. "Of course. After all, you are the first person to actually ASK me." I think she really, really enjoyed saying that with everyone listening. Not that I minded. In fact, the light humor and verbal confirmation of what I had believed to have known for some time now managed to bring a small smile to my own lips. There was appreciation in her eyes now too and that was all the fuel I needed to bring this crazy, abstract but suddenly so very wonderful scene to a fitting conclusion. Bowing slightly, I gave the hand still holding my own a light squeeze before very reluctantly pulling away. "Arigatou, Minako-senpai. I'll be looking forward to it."

And with that and her parting "So, do I" I turned and marched back out of the classroom. With far less single-minded purpose but a new, this time altogether genuine confidence that was rooted in success.

As I walked past the frozen Kimiko, the other girl seemed to finally snap out of her own shock, almost immediately giving away to her usual excitement, tripled. Somehow she managed to wait until the door was closed and we were a short distance down the hallway before she erupted into a far from controlled shout. "That was awesome!"

Fin Part 1

*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****

Ending Notes

And that's that. Part 1 is done. Part 3 should be out sometime tomorrow or Saturday. How do you like it? I honestly am not too sure if it's any good. Somewhat hastened, with Maia still being moody, half-stuck into writer's block. Certainly I think it's a little different from what I usually do.

No comments:

Post a Comment