2013/12/21

Fanfiction: Christmas Dance (2/3)

And here is Part 2.



Title: Christmas Dance (2/3)
Author: Matthias aka MysticMew (Solarsenshi@gmx.de)
Beta: None
Status: Alpha (Version 1.0)
Rating: PG-13 (to be safe)
Fandom: Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon
Category: Romance (lighthearted fluff, be warned ^_^)
Pairings: Minako/Hotaru
Continuum/Spoilers: End of Manga, slight bits of anime. But really nothing dramatic.
Distribution: M&M DreamWorks Blog (http://mysticmew44.blogspot.de), M&M DreamWorks Archive (http://mysticmew.bplaced.net), Fanfiction.net (www.fanfiction.net), M&M DreamWorks archive and blog gets preference and the desired and best format, all versions will first go to the blog and archive.
Disclaimer: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon©Naoko Takeuchi, Kodansha, TV Tokyo
Story Disclaimer: Christmas Dance©2013 by Matthias aka MysticMew



*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****

Pre-Note

Without further ado the next part. And some reviews would be nice, no? I'm really not sure how well I'm doing with this since I'm almost completely playing it by ear. To be honest aside from the initial scenes I had no clear concept for this story. ^_^ Let me know how you like it, please?

*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****

Christmas Dance (Part 2)
A Minaru Christmas One-Shot
Presented by M&M DreamWorks

*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****

"You seem awfully excited about this."

I glared at the smug expression on my partner's face, giving the next article in my wardrobe a skeptical glance before discarding it like the rapidly building pile of clothes all around me. The room definitely looked like what you might expect a girl's room before going on an important date would look like. All the fashion sense and lessons in the world didn't matter very much in this kind of situation, if a girl wanted to look good for her date. Especially one that she really, really looked forward to.

"If you have something meaningful to contribute then please do." Huffing at Artemis' expression basically saying: "Are you crazy? I'm not getting involved in this" I focused back on the important task of finding just the right thing to make a lasting impression. As much as a impression as the unexpected offer had made on me at least, if not more.

A few more minutes of this procedure passed in relative silence before Artemis apparently felt it was safe again to continue. "All I'm saying is that I have never seen you this happy going on a date." The serious tone and knowing look when I turned my head slightly to acknowledge him made me stop. If anyone knew what was going on inside me, it would be him after all. "I have to say I was a little surprised by your choice."

Putting the dress I had grabbed back into place, I flopped down on the bed next to him, almost relieved to take a momentary break. "It wasn't so much my choice. She asked me after all." And that was all it came down to in the end. I knew Artemis wasn't commenting on the fact about us both being girls. He knew better than most that I did not make a distinction between genders when it came to the heart, although this was the first time I actually ever had a date with a girl. In this life at least.

No, the real reason was that Hotaru had done something no one had ever done before, touching some place inside my heart that I had almost given up hope on ever anyone being able to reach several times already. "I don't even really know why or how it happened," I continued, thinking back over the last days.

As expected the event had circulated through the school rumor mill like wildfire and at the end of the next period all sorts of theories were flying around. Some of them I found quite funny, some were rather extreme. The theory that I had only accepted Hotaru's offer out of some sort of pity or even some elaborate plot to garner more attention and that I would most certainly look for different partners at the dance was holding the most steady.

Well, they were certainly wrong about that. I had every intention of spending every minute with Hotaru. I had to. I wanted to get to know this girl that so peculiarly caught my attention better. In fact, the closer it had gotten to Christmas Eve, the more excited I was getting at the prospect. "I certainly didn't expect this but... I think tomorrow will be really special."

There was no need to spell it out to Artemis what I really meant with this and I smiled at his wide-eyed expression than he did realize the meaning. There was no disbelief though or any other question asked, just an answering happy smile in the end. "I'm glad. I hope it works out then."

Grinning back, I jumped up again with my intention of making this date as perfect as possible renewed and cemented. "Oh, believe me, I have every intention to do so."

*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****

"Stop worrying, dear, everything will be fine." I blinked at the voice of my mama, realizing I must have spaced out while waiting for her to finish brushing out my hair and now I had gotten her concerned since I had apparently not been responding properly to whatever she had been saying.

Of course, Michiru didn't show it. I really wished I could have her composure some day. Dealing with two or at times three distinct personalities in one body was not always easy and while Saturn mostly stayed in the background, it was harder to forget about my old life with my real father. The rebirth had taken away the physical reminders, but the mental ones remained since I got my memory back. Falling back into old patterns learned for years was a rather simple matter sometimes.

Not today, in fact, I didn't have any random bouts of depression and loneliness all week. All thanks to what happened on Monday. "I'm fine, Michiru-mama," I reassured the older girl, the address more out of habit by now. They were more like older siblings even if they liked to act the part of parental figures. "Actually, I'm not nervous at all."

And that was the truth. Ever since Monday I had been literally riding on cloud nine. The anticipation left me giddy and positively longing for these last days to pass by but it was a far more bearable feeling than what I had experienced Monday morning. Even jealous and at times downright nasty students confronting me about my actions had barely phased me. I suppose the fact that most remembered my parental figures from last year and knowledge what Haruka-papa especially would do to anyone that upset me still persisted. And Kimiko had, in her rather brash and forceful way, made it clear what she thought about complaining boys that were venting their frustration about being rejected on me quite a few times. That, at least got my class to shut up.

So in the end, the fallout beyond the first day was much less than what I had expected and I had been able to enjoy the anticipation for the dance. I still couldn't believe Minako-senpai had actually agreed without so much as a second thought!

Seeing in the mirror that Michiru was looking at me oddly, as if not quite believing what I said, I couldn't help the giggle, the giddiness starting to reach a new height with just a few hours to go until the dance. "Really, I mean it. This is Minako we are talking about. I'm sure she wants to make the best out of the evening as well."

Haruka and Michiru had taken the news fairly well – Setsuna sadly enough was out on guardian duties for an indefinite time. Even Haruka-papa, whose reaction I had dreaded, had merely looked at me funny for a bit, grunted and then said: "Better her than someone I don't even know." And that was as much approval as I could get. I was quite sure she went to speak with Minako-senpai at some point but since nothing further happened, I doubted anything bad came out of it. Especially since I knew Haruka was actually quite fond of Minako-senpai.

Michiru seemed finally satisfied, returning to concentrate on her task. "Alright then. Let's see to it that she'll definitely won't forget about her date anytime soon."

I grinned at that. Sometimes it was a real benefit to have two understanding girls who happened to be couple as parental figures. Not to mention that they both knew how to make a classy impression in just about any situation. I wondered how Minako-senpai would react to the end result?

*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****

As always the Outers' home was quite impressive. I suppose it would have made more of an impression if this had been my first time here but the awe was still there. Idly I wondered if I could afford something like this too, if things went well with the idol business? Not that it mattered too much. In a few years we'd be living in a palace! However, one was allowed some fantasies to indulge in, right?

Of course, right now I was stalling rather than legitimately fantasizing. I couldn't deny a certain nervousness as I approached the front door. Honestly I was behaving like a love-struck schoolgirl on her dream date. The thought made me chuckle awkwardly. Perhaps the comparison was not that far off. So far romance had never been much for me. The frustration about countless failures had ebbed slightly in the last years as I had found other things to focus on, however, the longing for the right partner always stayed.

I honestly couldn't say I was in love, then again I didn't expect to go to the dance with someone I loved either. If that had been the case, there never would have been the need for a choice to begin with. However, Hotaru had managed what all the other potential suitors had not. She had caught my interest. Not just with her brave act either but also with the honesty with which she had asked.

Unlike the majority of the student body, it had not been about a younger student asking out the budging idol and school celebrity because of some silly, star-struck crush. No, I had seen clearly that there was a lot more to Hotaru's feelings than just simple idolization. There was honest emotion, perhaps even real love. And that made me curious. Curious to find out what had inspired this depth of feelings in the first place. Even as Senshi, we had barely interacted. In fact, the only one who might really know Tomoe Hotaru was back in her own time. I wasn't sure even her "family" fully understood the somewhat complex mystery that our 'youngest' often represented.

Well, I would have all evening to find out. Both about her motivation and whether or not there could be something more than a single date. Something I honestly hoped to be the case.

Composing myself, I hit the doorbell and was almost immediately answered, gulping in reflex at Haruka's piercing stare. The message was quite clear, just as it had been back on Tuesday after school when she had waited for me. Oh sure, the older girl had been surprisingly calm about this. All she had said after an awkward greeting and staring contest had been: "I'm glad it's you." That, of course, didn't include the standard parental warning of a father-figure to her daughter's significant other. The message was there though, left unspoken.

And just like then, the moment passed quickly and Haruka grinned slightly, waving me inside, before shouting up the stairs: "Hotaru, your date is here! If you don't get down now, I might take your place!" She looked at me winking while I tried and failed to suppress a blush. Even after all these years, the sandy-blonde girl still had that effect on me – most of us actually – with her playful flirting.

Thankfully I was spared further embarrassment when I saw Hotaru emerge on the top of the stairs. Clad in a flowing dark midnight blue, almost black dress contrasting sharply with her white skin, open hair flowing down her back like a black river, a pair of silvery, heart-shaped earrings rounding up the incredibly lovely image... The sight was breathtaking and I suddenly felt completely underdressed and unworthy. This wasn't the cute kohai I knew from school or even the serious Senshi from training. This was an entirely new creature and I found myself deeply fascinated.

Distinctly I heard Haruka laughing and Hotaru's chiding voice, which managed to snap me out of my trance, only to realize Hotaru was already standing right before me, blushing slightly under my surely intense gaze. Forcing myself to act, I reached for her glove-covered hand and brought it up to plant a kiss on top, smiling brightly. "May I have the honor of your company, Hime-sama?" It was partial act, partial joking but also a great part honest action and instilled romantic nature. After all I really had every intention of making this evening something to remember and such a lovely date deserved only the best of manners and attention.

Hotaru blushed a lot more at my gesture, only managing to nod and shyly closing her hand around mine in response.

*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****

The location for the dance was thankfully just a short distance from where I lived and with the weather so unnaturally warm and dry, there was no need to take a bus or something. So we found ourselves walking quietly side by side in a comfortable yet slightly awkward silence.

Comfortable because we both enjoyed the other's company – at least I hoped I got the right expression about that since Minako-senpai's reaction back home was both obvious and a little embarrassing. And I definitely enjoyed peaking at Minako-senpai's fairly simple red party dress which she still manage to wear as if it was a ball gown somehow. Simple but perfect.

The awkwardness came a little more sudden. I had really felt confident about this before, with the hard part being over... or so I had thought. However, that wasn't quite true. Now that we were here, on our way to the actual event, I realized that this was real and not some dream or fantasy. It was going to happen and suddenly I wasn't sure how to act or what to expect.

In all this I had almost forgotten that we barely knew a lot about each other, never truly interacting outside of training and the occasional gathering. At least I think Minako-senpai had to be thinking that. And yet, she was here. She had chosen me out of the dozens upon dozens of invitations. I thought I knew why. Yet, now, so close to the real thing, a slow but steadily growing seed of doubt had crept into my heart after all... and that really irritated me. I wanted to enjoy this evening!

Shooting another glance at my date, I was amazed by how composed and unaffected she seemed to be. There wasn't a shred of nervousness that I could detect. I blushed when she caught my gaze and smiled back warmly. "Nani?"

Swallowing a lump, I decided I had to risk asking or it would eat me up all evening and that would just be ruining things. "Ano... Minako-senpai, are you sure about this? I mean... you could have been going with so many other people and yet..."

Minako-senpai stopped abruptly but her gaze wasn't sharp or accusing. Instead she took my hand into hers, blue eyes focusing on me, gentle and... affectionate? "Can I ask a question in return?" I nodded slowly, barely able to concentrate on breathing under the attention focused on me from the person I really cared about. "When did you start having feelings for me? I can't quite figure it out since we barely did anything together."

I wanted to look away but couldn't, feeling enraptured by her kind smile and gentle eyes. Yes, just like at that time. "Um, do you remember the beginning of last year? I wanted to learn to play something more modern than the violin and you helped me out with that." Michiru-mama was good with a lot of things but she didn't play many other instruments properly and I did not always want to depend on her. I had picked up some of her love for music but wanted to do something else than just classical pieces all the time. Somehow it had come up during a meeting and Minako-senpai who had gotten some guitar lessons herself on behalf of her scouting company had offered to share what she knew to get me started.

Just like that. "You were so busy then and just starting to learn as well and yet you put aside some time to show me." It had been an alien feeling for me still. Despite this new life, despite Chibiusa's friendship and my new families' love, I still wasn't exactly used to someone paying me so much attention without asking anything in return.

"That's when it started, I think." Gradually at first but I had started to try and get to know Minako-senpai a lot more. Of course, I had always been too shy to say anything, content just to enjoy that strange feeling and doing small things like asking her to help me with combat training – which she was surprisingly good with – or other small things that would seem innocent enough not to draw immediate attention. Only lately had I realized that it wasn't enough, that I had to do something about it, to let out my feelings before it got unbearable.

"There you have it." I blinked away the memories, finding myself once more caught in that azure gaze and a brilliant smile that made my heart flutter. "You were the first person that I could tell without any doubt honestly meant what she said. The first person that just wanted to go out with me, Aino Minako, not just the school idol."

Joy and relief. "Arigatou, Minako-senpai." I had been right after all. That was what I had hoped and having it confirmed immediately washed away any anxiety about this evening that was left.

Minako-senpai laughed lightly at the more lighthearted smile I was sure to have on my face right now. "Now that's the expression I want to see. And you don't have to thank me. In fact, I should be the one to be grateful. I had almost given up on having any fun tonight. So... do me one favor, will you?" Again I nodded, ready to do anything for this amazing person whose heart was so wonderful that it would even consider someone like me special. "Don't call me 'senpai' tonight. Just Minako will do, ne?"

Now that I could easily do!

Fin Part 2

*****MINARU*****MINARU*****MINARU*****

Ending Notes

And now, reviews please? I'd really like to know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment