2015/04/23

Anime Weekly Review: Spring 2015 (17.4-23.4.)

As we are nearing the mark where most people decide to continue or drop a series, I can't say I feel like I want to drop something... However, so far a real star has still to show itself.


Unfortunately, even Plastic Memories, my highest ranked candidate so far, took a nasty dive this week which I dearly hope is nothing more than a temporary misstep. Dungeon is looking better though and so is Euphonium, I am growing to strangely like Show by Rock... Oh well, overall I have more fun with this season even without something to truly knock me over yet.

Is It Wrong To Try And Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?: So, apparently Hestia is breaking the internet or something in terms of popularity. I can see that. ^_^ Overall a good episode despite the ridiculous length it took Hestia to give Bell the freaking knife!

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Vivid: So we are going about 2.5 chapters per episode apparently. With this we conclude Volume 01 and Chapter 07... I'd like to say more about this but it's pretty hard since I know the source material and there isn't really anything new in there for me. I can live with is so far. It's not grandiose but I never expected Vivid to be that way.

Plastic Memories: I could have lived without the standard done-to-death and harem-esque jokes that filled out a lot of this episode. While I admit to have laughed at some of the more unique applications of how Tsukasa's intentions ended up being misunderstood... it was a tad too much and really didn't fit my image of the series so far. This episode was a bit of a letdown, even if by the end it seemed to get back on track. I dearly hope this wasn't more than a misstep.

Highschool DxD BorN: Only Issei can get away with pulling something like that. Only Issei and Highschool DxD are allowed to break the dramatic tension by declaring that the only way to grow more powerful in the middle of the fight is to press your Master's nipples....... All hail the King of Ecchiness! Unfortunately all this came at the expense of seeing Koneko do nothing despite it being about her. Oh well, there is still time and there is sure to be another confrontation soon.

Show by Rock!!: Well, the character introduction was hastened... then again it was probably more than Rolling Girls offered its main cast in several episodes. ^_^ Considering I almost dropped it after the first episode, I am growing to kind of like this. It fits right into the theme of leisure Slice-of-Life anime with not much of a deeper investment this season. It's also far more enjoyable despite all the things that irk me (like the CG) than a lot of other stuff last season. Even with the lack of real depth to her flashbacks a large part of me could empathize with the bassist in this episode.

Sound Euphonium: Definitely a stronger episode this week around, reflecting quite realistically the daily trouble of many a school club where most people are just in it for fun and not for any kind of greater accomplishment. This, of course, is always a problem for those who want more. What I like about this series is the rather realistic approach to many themes, not filling them up with overused tropes. A lot of things, including the characters are very relatable. It's also been pointed out that the shot framing in this series is excellent. I can't say I put that much attention to it, but that maybe because of my eye troubles these weeks. Let's see if Euphonium can keep this up and transform it into an actual worthy experience.

Kyoukai no Rinne: Regardless of the sedate pace, I find the weakest link is the heroine. While certainly better than other violent mon... ahem, certain other people, Sakura is... monotone. She practically seems to have one mood and one mood only. She doesn't get angry (not really), she doesn't get fazed (like when the cat spoke up behind her)... I suppose it could just be good composure but for an anime it's rather uninteresting. The best thing so far is the narrator/commentary. I mean... It's not like the series is bad, it's just lacks any real pull.

Mikagura School Suite: And where Sakura is monotone, Eruna is like her exact opposite. Crazy, obsessive, overly self-confident... Hell, she bounces back from a crushing defeat in a flash. It can get a bit annoying at times I admit but for the novelty of her character, I can bear with it. So, Seisa has some dark secret, huh? This obviously goes back to the shot from the very beginning.

Hougako no Pleiades: It continues to be weird and so all over the place with explanations that it appears nonsensical many times. Still, I'm starting to make some sense of it and there some nice visuals. I am still disappointed by the weak delivery of the plot (if there is such a thing), especially any kind of coherence.

And now for the actual continuing stuff/real episode comments.

Assassination Classroom: Nagisa shows his stuff. Seeing as I've been teasered slightly by my friend that something like this would happen, I wasn't too surprised. But I liked it all the same. The observer is being pushed more into the spotlight now and gives him a much needed step out of passivity.

Go Princess Precure: After the excitement of last episode, we are back into monster of the day territory. This time the focus was back on Kirara (yeah!) who got suckered into a competition (lol) with an obsessed, annoying rival (*groan*) who actually managed to impress us in the end (wow). Anyway... Glad to see more of Kirara and the team effort to bring down the opponent was great.

Fairy Tail: Uh-oh, Erza and Natsu chibified, not good. Of course, Flare is there to save the day. I have to say as far as previous enemy characters-turned-good go, Flare has been one of the more surprising twists in recent Fairy Tail history. I knew it was coming from the manga (well, and there was the part in the last real arc) but I still find it surprising.

One Piece: Ok, I take it back... If it was intended (which I doubt somehow), last time's preview was more a misleading bait to think an early confrontation was coming. I still think One Piece should be more careful with its Previews and especially the episode titles which are already enough spoiler most of the time. So, Luffy created his own shortcut (should have seen this coming), Sabo and the Admiral are destroying more and more of the city... The chaos keeps spreading and it's going to be glorious in the end, I just know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment