2015/04/09

Anime Weekly Reviews: Spring 2015 (3.4-9.4.)

All the disappointing things that were "not quite good enough" are over. It's Spring Season now and... well, I'm not sure it's any better yet. Or worse? A little splatter of thought on a lot of first episodes and what might be interesting or not. I found some surprisingly good stuff fairly late where I had not even expected to look.


For the purpose of keeping this up, in addition to keeping up with the few anime that staid (from which only Fairy Tail and One Piece aired this week, Assassin Classroom apparently took another break), I'll keep using this format. Technically it won't be much different but everything not continuing is in hover mode, meaning I might decide to just kick it off my list because I didn't like it enough to continue.

So, since there isn't anything left tomorrow that interests me (unless Digimon pops up out of nowhere) and my PC almost died on me AGAIN this morning (same problem, it's holding for now but well...), I'll give this to you now.


Is It Wrong To Try And Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?: Nope, not at all. Even if the protagonist has not exactly done so... yet. Taking a peek at this after I saw that the source material got a good review lately, I was not entirely disappointed. In fact I quite liked this first episode. I feel bad for Hestia though... clearly our main hero does not appreciate her company and effort. Instead Bell goes chasing after the first, big-breasted sword-wielding, BLONDE heroine type (gosh can we get even MORE clichéd?)... Don't worry Hestia, I'll appreciate your company if he doesn't... ahem. Anyway. I like what I've seen from this so I'll probably be sticking with it for now.

Highschool DxD BorN: And the king is BACK! After so many not-quite-so-good or downright terrible harem anime with lots of ecchi in supernatural settings lately, there is just no better antidote than a healthy dose of Highschool DxD. If I actually need to explain, you clearly have not seen a single season yet... What are you waiting for?!

Seraph of the End: Eh... too gory for me. Not that I mind that much but it's neither really my thing nor am in the mood for this kind of stuff right now. The first episode was sort of promising... too bad everyone but the "promised boy" (*cough* cliché much *cough*) got killed already. If you enjoy this kind of stuff you may want to take a look, otherwise... Nope, not for me.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Vivid: Yeah! It's Nanoha... Oh wait, it's just Vivio. ^_^ Still, that I must consider an adaption of a subpar spin-off fanservice manga one of the rays of light this week goes a long way. I didn't go into this with great expectations (I learned my lessons from SMC) and even if the art is somewhat off, I couldn't find as much fault with the first episode as I was expecting. The one thing that did surprise me was Corona's voice. I picked her more for the outspoken/loud Arisa-type instead of being so soft-spoken.

Plastic Memories: Might be one of the more interesting ones this season. However, by the premise I see a lot of sad/cry-worthy moments in the future. It's definitely one of my more solid experiences this season so far. I was initially expecting some kind of male lead with cute android girl romantic comedy, so the surprisingly decent plot and setting were a pleasant surprise. I'll keep it for now.

Sound Euphonium: Nice. While I get the K-On! comparison. This felt a bit different and definitely a bit more mature. Not that that is a bad thing. I like it enough to continue for a bit at least.

Show by Rock!!: It was interesting... until the CGI happened. *lol* I read that a lot and it was about exactly my opinion. Between this and Euphonium... eh, I think I stick to the latter. Too bad about the gothic catgirl (must not be tempted!) but I'm not sure I can stand that level of otaku-craze coupled with eye-hurting CGI SD character models.

Kyoukai no Rinne: So, this a Takahashi manga-adaption, eh? What surprised me is that there was no brash guy gets beaten up by moderate to excessively violent girl... Color me surprised! While I haven't read the manga, I suppose I can give something done by Takahashi (despite my somewhat ambivalent relationship with her work) a chance. It looks good so far, was rather funny (especially the money thing) and has a more old school look which by no means is bad. I'd take this with proper storytelling and character developed over a color feast that can do little else like Rolling Girls any damn time!

Arslan Senki: I might have liked it... if it didn't seem very much like the kind of fantasy that I get bored with rather quickly. No girls in sight either. So... Probably not.

Hougako no Pleiades: Uh... Considering this was the one thing out of Vivid and Digimon (which we still don't know what happened/happens with it) and Highschool DxD I was somewhat looking forward to, I can only say: This was weird. I suppose it's a typical magical girl episode that often enough makes very little sense. Here though, things really just happened with a bare minimum of explanation and the heroine just stupidly went along with it! I think I need to see a few more just to know whether or not this is a waste after all (which would be a shame) or gets actually crazily great.

Mikagura School Suite: "Gay fangirl harem comedy" (quoted from Zac's Preview Guide comment). Oh. My. God! Sorry, almost everyone else on the preview guide, I cannot say I agree that this is a standard and overdone principle. Sure the magical/fantasy school, yes. But let's take a look at what we have. A female lead with extreme yuri otaku fantasies in a setting that is not exclusively yuri/shoujo ai fluff. A. Female. LEAD. I can't even recall the last time where a lead girl expressed yuri inclination this openly in a setting that wasn't technically a show set up exclusively for that. Perhaps Kannazuki no Miko but there it was more slowly developed. It's an amazing twist on standard tropes! This is what I have been WANTING for quite awhile. Sure, one can question the setting and everything and perhaps it might get a little grating after awhile... But every male harem lead could honestly do all Eruna has been doing and get away with it as per genre definition. So, no, I don't mind. At all. A definite keeper. My only fear is that eventually Eruna will turn out falling for a guy... and knowing how most anime that play with yuri implications without being purely in the category end up, I cannot entirely say this fear is unjustified. For now I enjoyed this very funny first episode which gave me quite a few laughs to help along my bad mood today (which has to say something since I really didn't think anything could) quite a lot.

And now for the actual continuing stuff/real episode comments.

Fairy Tail: Even for danger of repeating myself... FINALLY. Okay, I've said that enough. I have put the last six months somewhere in a deep corner of my mind, nailed and chained it shut and put some wards up. Let's not speak of it, ever again. THIS is Fairy Tail again. I was laughing a lot during the bath scene already with all the yaoi/yuri talk/action going around. I read a little bit into this arc, so it will take a few more episodes until I am fully unbiased but I am definitely glad to be back to the old Fairy Tail times again.

One Piece: Sabo shows his stuff... and the destruction continues. By this point there won't be much of anything left of Dressrosa even before Luffy finally gets to fight Doffy. Definitely not afterwards.

Go Princess Precure: A rather interesting episode. Looks like we are heading for a first minor climax already and perhaps some new powers? I was surprised Haruka's roommate was allowed to find out, this quickly at least.

...

So, what happens to Digimon? Where is it? Still no air date? We are almost a third through April already!

No comments:

Post a Comment