2015/04/30

Anime Weekly Review: Spring 2015 (24.4-30.4.)

Plastic Memories recovered from its misstep, Euphonium still looks solid and there's generally a lot of fun this season.

That about sums it up. In fact from an execution perspective both Plastic Memories and Euphonium are definitely at the top this season. We cannot forget the King of Harems, of course, seeing how Highschool DxD delivered one of its few raw action episodes this week. There IS some nice stuff in this season, much more than in the last three months... I still can't quite find the ace yet but if the general quality stay that way I can live without a real top anime.

Is It Wrong To Try And Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?: Still more girls for Hestia to get jealous over. Bell-kun, when do you finally start to appreciate the hot young GODDESS you live with more? ^_^ Anyway, the new girl didn't came as much as a surprise, being part of the ending and already being teasered last time (granted I wasn't sure if it was a girl). It was nice to see the potential theft to be resolved that way.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Vivid: Yeah, it's Lulu! ^_^ The first time I read that scene in the manga I was really baffled (a lot of us obviously were). Who knew what having her mother back could do to a girl, huh? The difference is also surprising since she was far more her Strikers self in the Sound Stage with Ixpellia... Anyway, next episode will hopefully be great. I do wonder if Vivid can keep up the general quality of magical battles of the franchise because I have some doubts about that.

Plastic Memories: Phew, saved, barely. This episode began with a last remnant of last week's awfulness but quickly moved back into the opening episode's territory that made such a good impression on people, myself included. Let's keep on this track, please.

Highschool DxD BorN: Whenever Highschool DxD pulls out pure action without (much) fanservice getting in between, it is surprisingly good. Another reason why this series is superior to anything else in its category. We even got to see Koneko in nekomata mode, finally! Of course that ending was just mean... Steadily but surely BorN reminds me why I used to love this series (second season had me a little irked at times, I admit).

Show by Rock!!: I suppose I can live with it now as long as I ignore the CG bits. The music by the foreign band was glorious... I want that song! Anyway, some more character development. Already this show is doing a whole lot better than Rolling Girls and several other anime last season. I suppose I can keep this for the entertainment value at least.

Sound Euphonium: I continue to be amazed by the realistic characters here. This anime is not stock-full of tropes and it is rather refreshing. Having a relatable main character helps a whole lot to sell the concept even if you are not all that interested in the concert band setup.

Kyoukai no Rinne: This episode played with a well-known trope (acquaintance from childhood with a crush on main heroine) but with some nice, refreshing twists. I expected him to come of much more stubbornly jealous and end up trying to mess up Rokudo's work by pure spite. Glad to see it was resolved peacefully. I am still not liking Sakura's near apathy to anything... Well, that might be the wrong word but the way she reacts to everything almost the same way (girl, two guys are virtually fighting over you, show some reaction!) is a little vexing.

Mikagura School Suite: Still as energetic and lively as before. In fact after a bit of a slower episode we are back where we started... which is good. I don't expect the greatest story from this but at least Mikagura School Suite keeps mostly to its appeals without trying to overreach too much. Then again, it's hard to tell yet where exactly it is going. ^_^

Hougako no Pleiades: Perhaps the strongest episode yet. This was a character episode at its strongest when it comes to magical girl shows. Now if we could get more of this for everyone else, 'something' may come out of this. Unfortunately, as a whole, Pleiades still seems like one of these shows you quickly forget about again.

And now for the actual continuing stuff/real episode comments.

Assassination Classroom: Nothing really eventful here. I sort of agree with ANN's review, the approach to the "student of the week" didn't really work well with the show's standards. It was okay, nothing more.

Go Princess Precure: Wow, is this our new Regina? Well, probably not as she doesn't seem hell-bent on seducing Haruka. Ahem... I am glad to see Haruka is actually willing, working hard and succeeding at learning new skills unlike other main heroines who usually stay with just trying hard. The rather weak development of the other two on the side continues to concern me though. While Haruka's development is good, I fear a repeat (to a greater extreme in fact) of last season where a lot of the show was focused on Megumi but this time we may have two Yukos instead of one.

Fairy Tail: Well, I would have been utterly disappointed if Lucy's team would have even lost against people without magic. It can really be aggravated how this show treats its nominal "lead" female most of the times. We are moving to the point where I stopped reading I think, so it's going to actually get exciting for me again.

One Piece: Before this the mismatched group was simply hilarious, now as they stand united they may really become a force to be reckoned with. One thing that bothers me... we haven't seen even one itsy bitsy scene about Nami's group the whole time. None. I mean, they should at least see some of what is happening – especially the "cage" around the island. It's like they completely disappeared from the show...

No comments:

Post a Comment