2015/06/11

Anime Weekly Review: Spring 2015 (5.6-11.6.)

A mostly enjoyable season is already nearing the end. DanMachi is cementing second place behind Euphonium with another good episode.


There were quite a few revelations this week but at the same time it is also surprising how calmly some anime continue their usual spiel despite the lateness of the season. DanMachi is really looking better and better the further in we get, the sadder it is that the season is almost over. I have a feeling we'll see more of it in the future though.

So far nothing has gone kaboom yet on my end and I am already looking more openly at a new PC now since I am getting quite fed up with this (new PS3 is already on the way), so if at some point these are late, I am probably setting up my new system (don't worry, unless this thing totally crashes, I let you know first).

Assassination Classroom: While somewhat dull and pointless in execution, I liked the idea how the show played on the misconception we probably all had with Nagisa in the beginning. Still, it was fairly pointless.

DanMachi: The one thing I will regret is that this show is ending soon (for now). The further we get in, the more steady the quality is getting. When it comes to atmosphere setting, especially about stuff going on in the dungeon, DanMachi really knows its stuff. With this trend, this anime is slowly cementing second place after Euphonium for me.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Vivid: While the sub took awhile, the end result was mostly worth the wait. Personally I wouldn't mind if they dwell a little more on the individual fights instead of rushing through. After all the tournament is the most exciting part in Vivid to date... Oh well. 

Fairy Tail: Natsu's fired up again. That council guy, though... Someone should have slugged and dragged him off somewhere earlier. Honestly, aside from the general badness I think none of us would have minded if he got blown up. ^_^ Now... what exactly is "Face"?

Plastic Memories: Moving along, nothing new. It's going exactly where predicted and I feel justified when I think about some of the comments in the heated discussion about Episode 7. I remember someone asking how we can judge where a series is going only halfway in? Well, maybe, because it was so obvious. Of course, there's always a chance things go differently but if you have seen so many anime, you get a feeling for these things and Episode 7 made it very obvious where it wants to go. What I think of that I have said often enough.

Highschool DxD BorN: The culmination of some of the groundwork laid throughout the entire season. While Issei gets his insecurities in some order, they eat at Rias from inside and we all know and consequently see where this ends up. Asia's confession was sweet and a LOOOONG time coming.

One Piece: And now Ussop has to save the day... AGAIN. Guh, I feel like I can predict most of next episode. But then again, often enough One Piece has been throwing me off with previews and expectations. Still another great episode in a great arc. FINALLY Law is back in action. *gasp* We have reviews on ANN now!

Show by Rock!!: At least this episode did relieve me off the concerns I mentioned about last week. Most of the issue makes sense in light of this. Still, I am in agreement that this episode tried to do too much at once. The possible conversion of one of the core cast (heroine's friends etc.) should be milked out a little more. It felt cheap and too fast.

Go Princess Precure: Okay... Let's see. We learn that Kanata has a sister who is conspicuously absent. Twilight and Kanata both wander about at night and at the end Twilight finds a Key (a WHITE key in contrast to her black) that has somehow been calling to her. If she isn't Kanata's (corrupted/brainwashed) sister and/or (probably and) ends up a Pretty Cure in a few episodes time (we are nearing the halfway point after all which is traditionally the moment for new additions to show up) I'll eat my shoes. Honestly, while the franchise has never been particularly trying to hide its intentions, I've seen secret hints done far more subtly before. Maybe I have just watched too much Precure lately...

Hibike! Euphonium: Not everyone is always happy with decisions made. It was a nice portray of different reactions to success and failure in the wake of the audition. That was the intention from the start and it delivered well. I bet a lot of those wanting Kumiko x Reina were smacked in the face by Reina's "confession". :D Good thing I was never among those wishful hopers to begin with. There is still enough (sexual) tension to work with if your fantasies allow it and that's fine with me.

Kyoukai no Rinne: An unexpected turn. In fact this episode was far more serious than everything before. I am not sure this is a good thing or not. Takahashi's patent for dysfunctional/abusive/neglecting/etc. family relations is back. Compared to THAT, Genma almost looks like a saint... almost... not quite.

Mikagura School Suite: Mikagura does seem to keep at its own pace, alright. I think the kind of mix between some drama and humor is best for this series. It doesn't exactly make for the most world-breaking experience but at the very least you never really leave seriously disappointed by an episode.

Hougako no Pleiades: Aaaaand... all of a sudden so many things made sense. This episode was what was needed... too bad it practically all comes in one big pile dumped on our heads just as the series is close to finish. If all this would have been teased, hinted and/or revealed bit by bit it would be okay. As it is, while Pleiades now makes at least a certain amount of sense, it does so far too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment