2015/08/13

Anime Weekly Review: Summer 2015 (7.8.-13.8)

Week 6 rolls along in the fairly steady summer season.


While certainly this season has some enjoyable things and School-Live is definitely the biggest gem of them, so far nothing has truly gripped me like DanMachi or even Euphonium during Spring. As promised, I have caught up with Illya now and included my thoughts on the whole thing at the end before I'll go over to regular comments.

Joukamachi no Dandelion: I say it again, the way this series handles the many character through shorter mini-episodes within the actual episodes works quite well, better so than just stuffing everything into one plot. At the same time the connections are not getting lost either. If every Reality Show in real life were to be this fun and interesting, I might actually watch them... or not. We get some much needed fleshing out of two of the top runners in the voting and their motivations.

Gate: Great action scenes this time around. The complications of the two worlds meeting are getting more dense now.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear GX: Now why couldn't the first two seasons have been like this? While I suppose it is sad that GX is better because the plot is even thinner, it is also because very little attempt to cultivate said plot has been made and instead focusing more on the action which is good enough to carry this season...

Fairy Tail: What do you know... First Wendy was awesome and now even Lucy did something smart and actually decisive in a battle! It might take another hundred episodes for that to happen again.

Rokka no Yuusha: Adelet is definitely digging his own grave here. I'm with Gabriella that the two new arrivals are the most suspicious but mostly because we know nothing of them and their motivations. I feel that Hans is too easy a solution just because he's an assassin and acts creepy. As such even Goldolf is somewhat suspicious to me. His quick action to attack might be within character but isn't it always the unlikely? Like the super-strong seemingly valorous knight? After all he was clearly expected to be chosen, so no one would suspect anything... Just my theory.

One Piece: Moving towards the climax of this flashback. That fruit is actually useful... if Corazon wasn't so clumsy he would have gotten away with it too.

Go! Princess Precure: I'm smelling a romance interest for Haruka... If that guy now goes mooning over Flora though I am so going to scream: Cliché! I think the enemies in this series are perhaps some of the most underwhelming in all Precure history (and that's saying a lot). While Heartcatch had plot hole Dune, the minions were at least interesting enough, same for other more dull organizations. The most depth these enemies had so far were the episodes around Twilight and Towa which were foreshadowed, executed and resolved in record time. All that Shut does is moon/lament over Twilight, Lock remains an enigma and Dyspear is not even present anymore right now. There is no interaction or depth really. The little bit that was there disappeared with Towa's rescue.

Overlord: So, looks like the confrontation is not yet. I think if there is one problem I have with this anime, it is that a proper direction is still missing.

Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosai no Kyoukai: As I expected, they saved the day... but then lost the match! Didn't see that one coming for sure. And Kanata finally showed why he is so highly regarded by some despite his status.

Kyoukai no Rinne: I freely admit that I wasn't sure in this double set of episodes whether or not I should be laughing or strangling the characters. There comes a point for me when humor takes it too far and hits some kind of nerve with me. I guess that was the case here, at least to some degree. Mostly with Rinne's dad, Cain's attitude and his utterly oblivious mother.

Gakkou Garashi!: So, it is a fact now that Megu-nee is dead. Not that it is a huge surprise considering the hints were there all along. I am a bit disappointed how the reveal was handled in a very short manner instead of some proper dramatic flashback. But perhaps this is still reserved for a later point, perhaps when/if Yuki has to face reality at some point.

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya Mini-Review (Season 1+2+start of 3)

Alright, after fully catching up with it. I am not sure what to say as it feels like I am watching several different things. Starting out as a fairly decent magical girl show with some pretty cool fights, that aspect has started to degenerate more and more to a point where three episodes into the current season we have not seen a single transformation! I really do miss the epic fights of first season since the few bouts with Kuro and the other girl really were far too short to suffice.

On the other hand, I like what's done in place of it. Kuro's story was well-handled and she's become the driving force of a lot of the ecchi humor. I was reminded of people on ANN complaining about "fanservice" in Vivid, I wonder what they'd do with this? Personally I could hardly stop laughing at the mini-arc at the beginning of Herz and its conclusion.

At first it might seem like Prisma doesn't quite know what to do with its time now that the card bar one have already been taken care of but in truth there's some careful buildup surrounding the characters that clearly shows how more than one season was clearly planned ahead. One must not look further than Miyu's still utterly unresolved background... I dearly hope there is some plan for that, otherwise it would be rather neglectful to not have any resolution to this.

Prisma is a strange mix and shy of the first season can hardly be even called a pure magical girl show anymore... However, it is entertaining. And I can't believe I am saying that about a Fate anime, especially a spinoff magical girl show. Yet, I am hooked because there are still lots of questions needed to be answered and there is always a good laugh at all the Yuri implications.

And last but not least Strike Witches Victory Arrow 3: A rather sweet episode. I am still rather miffed that there was no special for Sanya and Eila, very much so. Especially if the rumor I heard about next season not even being about the 501 anymore is true... It would be a freaking shame setting up both the movie and the specials about them and then switching teams...

No comments:

Post a Comment