2015/10/16

Anime Weekly Review: Fall 2015 (3.10.-16.10.)

Beginning of Fall Season. A new PC and a first glance at some anime.


This marks the first official post from my new PC. After my old one finally reached the point of near-crawling speed on Monday, I had to react fast after all. Biggest problem with that are the expected compatibility issues between Windows 10 and Zoomtext (my screen magnifier). I know why I actually would have preferred to put up with my old buggy PC for a little longer if possible. Oh well, can't be helped.

I actually found a few anime to watch this season, though none really seem more than casual one-time fodder. Oh well, some first comments, starting with the episodes of the continuing year-long anime. This format is a little messy, I'll get them ordered next time. ^_^

Fairy Tail 78: So, Gray actually gets a serious upgrade out of that fight. That seems to go along with the opening. I wonder though... Somehow I doubt they got rid of the threat from Face quite yet. I mean we already had Wendy's heroic near-sacrifice invalidated once. I doubt it's over yet.

Fairy Tail 79: The only real problem I have with that ending is that the whole Gajeel/Levy angle is coming back out of nowhere. It's been here and there and the hints were quite obviously going in such a direction but considering this is the first time we've seen Levy since the initial onslaught (and even there only briefly), it feels somewhat unconnected.

One Piece 712+713: Again, pretty fun side stuff. The battles are being wrapped-up slowly. Looks like next time we'll return to Franky and the little ones... Gosh, it's been awhile.

Go Princess Precure 35+36: More in-between episodes. Kanata's return was in fact handled very well since I can't recall there every being an instance of important people with simple memory loss like this. Not sure about the last ep, really. I find Minami somewhat bland to begin with and really I don't get the point of this episode.

The Asterisk War

Quote of the Month/Year: "... a genre that has been beaten into a fine slurry, buried underground, dug up again, reanimated, beaten back into a slurry, buried even deeper underground, resurrected once more, then this time beaten into a loose paste, then shot into space and somehow brought back yet again."

What a wonderful example of this type of show. And yet, somehow one always comes back to watch at least one of these each season, hopeful by the beginning and totally bored (at best) or utterly aggravated and disappointed by wasted potential (at worst) each time. I looked at it more on a whim since it was up and I needed a change from working myself through Dragonball Kai.

Magical high school setting. Check.

New male transfer student "with a PAST". Check.

Short-tempered female student either super strong or at best mediocre. The former it seems, so Check.

Guy sees girl(s) naked by some incredible stupid coincidence... Well, guy was rather stupid I think to jump right onto the balcony of a girl's apartment! So, yeah... somewhat Check.

Girl flips, then acts grateful for the returned handkerchief, THEN gets ready to kill the guy despite that. Okay. That's new. Partially Check.

They end up fighting and guy surprises everyone how good he is until the fight gets interrupted by the blonde, probably scheming perfect lady student council president or similar such thing. Check.

Guy and girl end up in same class, sitting next to each other. Check.

Yep, aside from the girl's jumpy reactions, it's all there. The only thing leaving Asterisk War with some hope is that it looks a whole lot better than many a show like that I have seen for quite awhile. The color scheme is vivid, what little there was of the battle looked certainly promising enough. Of course, let's see if it can keep that up. I've seen too many shows like this that started impressive but it turned out as little more than hot air. Considering the animation might be the only thing setting this anime aside from its counterparts...

Second episode was actually a good bit more interesting. While still stock full of clichés, there are little twists that make them interesting. The initial clash between Julis and Saya ended rather quickly in favor of being equally annoyed with Claudia. Julis continues to be a much more mild version of the typical tsundere in this setting and that is at least somewhat refreshing. I also liked Saya so far. That grenade launcher sure was badass. I think I'll stick around.

Hidan no Aria AA

After Illya, this time I actually watched a spinoff of something I have not even seen the original of in any form. ^_^ Well, I feel like I am going to be fine bar some references I'll probably not get. So far there was nothing really special but not really off-putting yet either.

Except of course, this is not officially streamed and as such has experienced one of the most horrible no-goes for subtitles. How am I supposed to WATCH when I have to spent almost the entire time trying to read the FAR TOO SMALL subtitles? Geez, you would think subbers by now would have learned to use at least a respectable size.

Second Episode: Well, still small but that's fairly typical for Funi subs so far. I can deal with this level at least. This episode was almost creepy with the over the top yuri stereotype...

Testament of New Sister Devil Burst
I can't believe I am actually watching this again. Says a lot about the attractiveness of this season. Well that and as much as I am certainly going to be ranting about the censoring before long, this case is a bit different from To-Love-Ru. With the latter I pretty much know what is happening since I recently caught up with the manga and won't really be surprised by the story. Execution is much more important there and so I decided to put that off because the censorship would just leave so little left that would warrant seeing the animated version. Testament is both new to me and well, I don't really care about it THAT much to wait for an uncensored version.

With that explained, the first episode was thankfully only graced by one instance of yellow tape. It also started out with a cool fight but considering who the combatants were and how lackluster action got in the previous season after a promising start, I am not really getting my hopes up here.

It also looks like Kurumi will be joining the harem... err, family... No, come on, let's call it for what it is. ^_^ I'd be very surprised if she doesn't end up with a contract herself before long.

Second episode was surprisingly doing well enough with the action on the actual main casts side, still a far cry from what could be done but at least stuff is happening. That cliffhanger was definitely mean.

Valkyrie Drive

Now, look here, Testament. THIS is how it is done when you want to make a rather ecchi/borderline hentai anime. In other words don't censor it to get the actual effect across. I warn everyone not to watch where other people are around... ^_^ Seriously though, it's not quite what I expected from the description. Clearly Testament level without the censor in certain instances. I wonder if we get an actual good plot out of this? I was kind of curious but if it's just very borderline hentai... I dunno. Season doesn't have a lot to offer for me, so I may stick around for lack of other options. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment