2015/05/28

Anime Weekly Review: Spring 2015 (21.5-28.5.)

Euphonium cements itself as THE anime this season with perhaps THE best episode this entire season, shortly followed by DanMachi's grand battle scene.


Two episodes dominated this week like none other. First DanMachi featured one of the highest caliber, excellently animated fight scenes I've seen in quite awhile and I am by far not the only one thinking that. That seemed hard to top until this season's Dark Horse once again topped itself with a mind-blowing episode that highlighted all of Euphonium's strongest features perfectly. I am not sure whether to feel sorry for everyone that wrote this off as another KyoAnime Moe-show or just some smug satisfaction that I stuck with it.

Overall, a rather strong set of episodes.

Assassination Classroom: That was a quite impressive execution. I had less problem with Koro-sensei pulling off a so far not seen last resort move. Come on, you really thought someone like him wouldn't have a last measure of some sort? I would have been disappointed if he didn't. The sudden intrusion of an outside force (?) was more of a turn-off but we'll have to see where it goes next episode to be sure.

DanMachi: Now THIS is why DanMachi is still among the strongest series of this season. The reactions to the fight here seem pretty much unanimous (and if I think about reactions to PM lately that's not as normal as it may sound) that it was absolutely spectacular. To me this episode and battle also had the added side-effect of dispelling some of my bigger problems with this series in form of Bell's character. I feel like I finally understand his reasons and motivations a lot better now and that makes him infinitely more likeable in his role. Now if DanMachi could just keep this quality at a more consistent level it could be truly great.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Vivid: Transition episode. The fun starts again from here on. I am merely taking what I can get and enjoying the ride.

Fairy Tail: Whoa, what a shocker. The whole council (idiotic fools they may be often) wiped out in one fell swoop! Now that's what I call a shocking opener to the arc! I am excited alright, we seem to be in for an epic conflict and seeing as this seems to be the final one, it better be!

Plastic Memories: Well..... Might have been decent. My position still stands. PM is going down the road it has far less competence in travelling than the other one it could have chosen. Also... The way Tsukasa just didn't notice the entire time that Isla wasn't there (none of them did!) was just utterly unrealistic.

Highschool DxD BorN: THAT twist at the end! Gah, so mean. So, our would-be baddie didn't even last an episode of serious combat and got completely trashed by Issei. I am not sure whether or not I should feel good or bad about this. But the battles were cool, although it could have been better.

One Piece: Things are starting to move again. Robin & Co. have arrived, Usopp is actually ready to take action actively. To think there's still so much more apparently. Definitely the most exciting arc in a long time.

Show by Rock!!: Personally I could do without the guys. More and more this show reminds me of Rolling Girls, not just in the colorful explosion of art but also in its weak areas. Show by Rock!! also has a tendency to forget it's supposed main cast and doesn't quite seem to know how to stick with its themes all the times. I said it before... This is a show about music and we barely see them do any music! Despite that, I still like this more than RG and considering how I almost put it away at the beginning, I can swallow some things much more easily.

Go Princess Precure: Kirara gets all the good stuff! ... Including the cool mom. ^_^ I liked this a bit more than Minami's episode but it's still lacking a little something. Nothing new to talk about, I guess.

Hibiki! Euphonium: This episode all but cements Euphonium for top spot this season. THIS is how you do light, at times fluffy/romantic comedy! (Yes, I'm looking at you PM) The banter and conversation is absolutely grand here and made me chuckle and laugh quite a lot. It's neither forced nor your usual anime tropes, especially once the attention shifts to Kumiko and Tosaka together where it gets incredible sensual. I can see the Yuri vibe here now but I don't even mind whether it goes somewhere or not. The light, unforced way it is dealt with, is so very refreshing like just about everything else in this anime. The overall reactions to this episode seem nearly unanimous as well. Best episode this season... perhaps even this year (so far). It will be hard for anything to top that.

Kyoukai no Rinne: I'm starting to get more used and appreciative of the dry humor in this series. If anything, in the end that may be what keeps me going with this. Kyoukai no Rinne is always good for a few laughs, just don't expect any grand story out of it, clearly that is not Takahashi's intention here.

Mikagura School Suite: More inside of Otone and she became a little more likeable but yeah... Her shield personality is clearly focused on too much. I mean we get it already, no need to rub it in. Of course, Eruna is nothing but persistent, countless rejections from a pretty girl don't make her give up and in the end even Otone melts. ^_^

Hougako no Pleiades: Another okay character episode. Now that we have one for each, maybe we can move back to whatever poses as plot, so explosively put to the forefront two weeks ago? What continues to baffle me is the way these girls are bending space and time laws however much it suits them in any given situation and we are hardly given much of an explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment