2015/09/17

Anime Weekly Review: Summer 2015 (11.9.-17.9.)

As the season nears its closure, I am starting to appreciate what it has to offer more.


It took awhile for me to really get into most of the shows this summer but most of it is coming together now. While certainly not very stellar, what is definitely a step up from some of the other things this year is a rather steady pacing in the anime. It might seem slow at first but there is clearly method behind it (except Sky Wizard Academy and Overlord perhaps) and that is much better than being all over the place without much direction.

Joukamachi no Dandelion: All the individual storylines have reached a "conclusion" now, even Akane seems to have pushed past her shyness. This pretty much just leaves the election. A shame really because these characters have really started to grow on me and I wouldn't have minded more.

Gate: For something devoid of action, still rather interesting. Also we get a new person for a potential new storyline.

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya Zwei Herz: So, seriously... what happened here?! I have nothing against the ecchiness in this anime as it can be somewhat fun if no action is going on but after over half of this season was non-action, please stay at least focused on it now!

Senki Zesshou Symphogear GX: Well, that was a SHORT return for Ver. Also, I am not sure if I wouldn't have preferred Hibiki's father to stay a failure as such. I still think he is but oh well... Gearing up for the final confrontation. Let's hope it can keep up with what we've seen so far and be as memorable as G's final which was after all the only thing saving this series enough for me to even watch this season.

Fairy Tail: Gosh, Wendy is cheated off her glorious moment... But her reaction was great, showing how much she has matured. As for Minerva... Well, with a father like that, no wonder she turned out this crappy. The other Dragon Slayers are here, too. I was wondering when those two would show up as they are in the opener. All in all, the stage is set for the battles now as Fairy Tail continues to be strong.

Rokka no Yuusha: <Insert censored expletive> They had to end it there, right? Right?! Right?!? Ahem... Sorry, had to vent. This episode confused the hell out of me because at the moment it seems almost like NO ONE is a fake. Let's say it is the princess as many believe by now and frankly the way the first half went I was practically convinced as well. However, I can't see why she would stop at a point where Adlet had clearly outlived his usefulness and letting him live would actually make things problematic. Either she is really that good of an actor to feign regret at Hans' appearance – and again I don't see why it should stop her if she's the fake – or there's something else going on I am missing. It could still be Maura who remains insistent until the end but when she gives in, it also seems rather genuine. Hans and Chamot are already out for me, so is Flamie (as proven already) and Goldov had Adlet right there but stopped to listen... I am officially confused. If they pull out a cheap.. Oh now there ARE seven braves, I am going to be mad.

One Piece: So... are we now finally ready to resolve all these different battles so that we can truly focus on the big one? Please?

Go! Princess Precure: Hey, look, it's Minami's overbearing jealous wannabe-boyfriend..... And once again BIG on the cliché, Toei. At least he had class enough to apologize but still...

Overlord: Nooo, don't kill her please. I'll be very upset if Sheltear goes already. Aside from that a whole lot of nothing happens... again.

Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosai no Kyoukai: Oh look, let's skip all the way to the final because we wasted so much time on nothing and then let's have a totally underwhelming battle..... And let's not talk about the creepy "villain". No, let's not. I really wonder WHY I actually liked this at the start. At this rate this show will go right into the drawer with stuff like Dragonar Academy or most of that stuff from two seasons ago.

Kyoukai no Rinne: Frankly, I would have just left the spirit alone. I mean it's a noble sacrifice to keep Rinne's dad from wrecking more havoc. ^_^

Gakkou Gurashi!: Flawless episode. Dramatic, emotional, wonderfully executed (especially Yuki's part). I have seen many series screw up at such a critical junction but this anime keeps up its potential and quality writing. Finally a zombie apocalypse scenario that is actually enjoyable instead of some cheap trash. Looking forward to the conclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment