2015/09/30

Anime Weekly Review: Summer 2015 (18.9.-30.9.)

And thus the season concludes...


First off, this took longer mainly because of several delayed episodes severely screwing up my release plans (namely Gakkou Gurashi) until I decided to just bunch them together... and then Overlord got delayed as well, thus why this only comes now and not yesterday.

I have nothing much to say or rather I'll save it for the final season review since I got a good bit done already. I'd say it should be out around this weekend. I left the comments for double episode as they were initially to reflect my thoughts after viewing the first batch (for those that had two).

Finally, I am severely in doubt I actually find something worth my while next season unless I want to get worked up over the unavoidable censoring of Testament's second season. I am seriously still debating whether I should bother or not, for my own sanity. I'm not sure what I do about these if I sit this season out. Either I'll keep this small for Fairy Tail, One Piece and Precure alone or well... I don't know. Just a warning if nothing is coming for awhile.

Joukamachi no Dandelion: Probably the best solution. Everyone else really had different angles in life. A nice wrap for a show that really surprised me at how good it turned out. In fact, short of School-Live! this turned out to be the most solid of the lineup for me in the end.

Gate: A rather leisure "final". Unfortunately Gate will go split-coeur for a season... But at least it isn't leaving us totally hanging.

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei Herz 9: For that moment at the end, the whole first six or so episodes were almost worth it. But even then, it's a shame that so very little remained of the awesome action spectacle of first season. I don't particular like the Fate universe but Type-Moon CAN do better. In the end this spin-off would have been better as a condensed season at 13 episodes or so. It would have streamlined things a little.

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei Herz 10: I still say for all the long wait and filler feel of this season, the action in itself lasted at best 2 episodes or so put together. Despite all that, I continue to find this series endearing and will definitely be back for 3rei.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear GX 12: Some awesomeness at the end again. Personally I'm not quite feeling it. G had a better final I think even if GX was the better season altogether. Oh well, one more episode left.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear GX 13: Well, it couldn't quite reach G's final but considering the rest of the season felt much more stable to me, I don't mind. There definitely was some awesomeness in here. I would be surprised if this was truly a "Fin".

Fairy Tail 76+77: Yeah, well, I almost suspected something like this happening. Looks like the past has come full circle for Gray now. Of course that seems to be put in question now with the end of this weekend's episode. Looks like we get another episode of this confrontation that will shed some light on it. Geez, Gray nearly died... again.

Rokka no Yuusha: So, it is Nachetanya after all. And... wait... WHAT?! Another?!? And now we end it and never see it continued... While apparently there is reasoning behind why it ended like this, for a final of something that very certainly will never see an animated continuation, it felt rather lackluster. Goldov remained practically without character even though he should be the one the most affected by this and frankly everyone else sans Adlet and Flamie are not much better off.

One Piece 710: That was a rather twisted string of events for sure. But despite what I expected from a set of more or less sideline characters it was quite entertaining!

One Piece 711: Bellamy you really need to get your priorities in order. If you really grew smarter, then show it.

Go! Princess Precure 33: Definitely one of the coolest fairies yet, that one I have to give this season. I guess that was the "joke episode" of the season.

Go! Princess Precure 34: At this rate I wouldn't wonder if Haruka ends up sleeping with all her teammates... Ah wait, it is a "kid's show", so that won't happen. But really, Toei is really laying it on thick with the hints/baits here. At least some more Kirara again. And still no one is the wiser that the bad guys are actually preparing something.

Overlord 12: I still don't particularly see what everyone sees in this to have it so hyped (especially compared to the much more engaging alternatives this season). The battle was good but frankly... You can only get so much excitement out of the protagonist just standing around activating one super skill after another. I had more enjoyment out of Log Horizon's battles frankly and those were rather infrequent. Let's see how this wraps up next week but for the record I still see barely ANY direction this anime wants to take.

Overlord 13: At least Shaltear didn't (permanently) die. I guess I am glad for that even if in the end this season (and I am seriously hoping it is at this because if it remains singular than that could go in the same category of bad as Rokka without another season) consisted of a lot of talking, posturing at a very leisure pace. But let's leave that analysis for the final review.

Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosai no Kyoukai: In the end it was all very predictable and well... bland. Nothing original, the Devil Beetle background existed mainly as a backdrop. Even the revelation about Kanata at this point is not particular exciting or surprising. It was okay... but that's it, I am afraid.

Kyoukai no Rinne: Huh, so there is an "end" (or break). I almost expected this to run for a long time. Oh well. This episode was in fact a rather decent finish. For the first time the romance here was actually decently handled and left the viewers with a little fuzzy feeling to get over the Autumn/Winter break. Just do us a favor Rinne and come back with a new Opening singer (preferably from the first one).

Gakkou Gurashi!: Splendid! The slight delay was so worth it. I imagined many things for the end but this was perhaps one of the most bittersweet endings that had me crying in a long time and no "human" actually died. It takes a lot to execute such an ending, hitting all the emotions right. In this regard, Gakkou Gurashi ends as strong as its entire run and thus will make it incredible hard for me to choose at the end of the year whether this or Euphonium deserves top spot. Probably both since both were such perfect executions in their own right.

No comments:

Post a Comment