2015/12/10

Anime Weekly Review: Fall 2015 (4.12.-10.12.)

A whole lot of ACTION!


After the stage setting week, almost all the anime exploded into some serious action and/or moving the plot forward.

Fairy Tail once again topped One Piece by working pacing in a way that even scenes that already happened flowed in smoothly to what was going on while One Piece spend a bit too much on stretching things out again. Everything looked remarkably good this week though and I have a hard time remember where I was actually at least satisfied with EVERY anime episode on my list within a week. I am glad to see that at least the quality of these few anime is either constantly rising or keeping at a good level. Despite my misgivings in the early weeks of this season, I am enjoying what I am watching now for the most part.

Shinmai Maou no Testament Burst: That was surprisingly sweet. While the fight itself wasn't entirely that great even though I expected they were saving the best for Basara. But Mio is proving more and more capable actually, which is nice to see. And it seems there was a reason why the tournament was rushed as we seem to go into battle overtime. Let's hope Testament can actually perform adequately this time. It keeps trying but so far...

Fairy Tail: Spectacular! You know, there were a lot of flashbacks, shots back to the Erza battle but THIS is how even seemingly slow pacing can be made engaging and exciting. The selection of scenes all fit in wonderfully, especially in the first half of the episode. Shit's going to hit the fan now!

Asterisk War: Did you see Saya's fighting style? Close combat with a big-ass gun! Amazing! There has been a distinct lack of Claudia lately... in fact she wasn't even in the episode outside of opener and ending, not even in the commentary. Anyway, there was some nice action in this episode, definitely a step up. If it only keeps improving as we move to the finals, then that's the right kind of quality management. I kind of agree with Theron though that I find it highly doubtful to finish the tournament adequately in the time left but we'll see. So far Asterisk has not disappointed me and that's more than any other harem/battle-hybrid this year could say (and with a more steady quality than World Break as well).

Valkyrie Drive: I smell trouble... A lot of trouble. Charlotte in charge cannot be good, especially with the cunning new arrival at her side. It has become less and less of the hentai fetish anime it was in the first episodes. Granted, the plot isn't spectacular but Valkyrie Drive is trying while still giving us enough visuals without being overwhelming.

One Piece: And again, a whole lot of event stretching. At least Luffy is finally fighting Doffy now and we get an ultimatum as well. Of course it stood to reason that the cage could be moved.

Go Princess Precure: Much better solved than I expected honestly. I feared this week would resolve the bitter taste of last week in a way seen far too often. Sure, the fashion show thingie was rather... lame (nothing like Heartcatch's fantastic episode) but Kirara's resolution at the end was not utterly all smiles. It was fitting for Kirara and that is what counts. Can't you do this more, Toei? Like for most of a season? I'm probably asking too much... Next up is Minami then. Let's see if this turns out just as well because so far at least Kirara had charm and could SHINE despite her Mary Sue-ishness. Minami though... I have my doubts (there I said it, prove me wrong PLEASE).

Hidan no Aria AA: Ack, cheese alert. It's the "Power of Friendship"! No, no, I don't mind. I found it sweet, if rather cheesy. Finally we get to learn about Akari's secret.

... One more week.

May the Force be with you!


No comments:

Post a Comment